For this week’s Meet the Media, we’d like you to meet Kara Brandt, editor-in-chief at Downtown Bellevue Network.
How did you find yourself as editor-in-chief at Downtown Bellevue Network?
I have always had a passion for and experience with the local Bellevue community and writing, and this was a great way to marry both of those things.
2. Which of your stories/projects are you most proud of?
As a local publication, we pride ourselves in covering the local news within the Bellevue community in more depth than other publications. An example of this is the recently opened Lincoln South Food Hall, where I covered all seven concepts individually with dedicated articles to each concept.
3. What is your favorite thing about your job?
This role is a lot of fun and I would say that my favorite thing about my job is getting to experience many of the new businesses, shops and restaurants as they open.
4. What is your interview/working style?
I enjoy meeting with business owners and business leaders in person at their place of work. I like to come prepared with different interview questions and see where that takes us in conversation.
My favorite time of day to write/edit is early in the morning at one of the many coffee shops in Bellevue!
5. What do you look for in a story?
We try to think about the reader and if it is something that would interest them; if the owner or manager has local ties to the Bellevue community; and if the concept is new or interesting. Our readers have shown that they are most interested in information about shops, restaurants and real estate, so these are big areas of focus for us.
6. What is your day like at your job?
Every day is different at my job! Some days I am out meeting and talking with members of the community for interviews, and other days, I am doing a lot of research online to write articles and to find out the next new place to open in Bellevue.
7. Who do you most look up to in the journalism industry?
I look up to Barbara Walters because she is an amazing interviewer who comes up with questions that make the interviewee think more deeply and answer more honestly.
8. What is your favorite news outlet?
9. Fill in the blank:
- If I am not reporting, I am…chasing my two kids under the age of five!
- If I could interview anyone, it would be…Drew Barrymore.
- My favorite thing about Bellevue is…going to the Bellevue Downtown Park after grabbing coffee from one of the many local shops and playing with my kids at the Inspiration Playground!
10. What is your guilty pleasure?
Chocolate dipped shortbread at Dote Coffee Bar.
Check out our last Meet the Media where we spotlighted Rodika Tollefson, freelance writer and managing editor of WestSound Home & Garden.
Want to be featured in a Meet the Media? Email email@example.com