For this week’s Meet the Media, we’d like you to meet Kristen Hamilton, editor at the Woodinville Weekly.
1. How did you find yourself at the Woodinville Weekly?
I have been the editor of a lifestyle magazine in Montana (406 Woman) for the past six years. This spring, I relocated to the Seattle area and heard about the opening for an editor at the Woodinville Weekly. I really enjoyed the paper and the community so I jumped at the chance when it was offered to me.
2. Which of your news stories are you most proud of?
I started Editor’s Explorations as a weekly column when I joined the paper. I love writing about all the terrific things to do in the area each week. It’s been a great way to get to know (and love) our new surroundings.
3. What is your favorite thing about your job?
Getting to learn about some really accomplished people in our community through the stories of our terrific writers
4. What is your interview style?
Very laid back and casual. I focus more on features and lifestyle pieces.
5. What do you look for in a story?
Personally, I like to feel something and be compelled to do something. Our features writer Kirsten Abel does a great job of telling a story and often I find myself wanting to do the things she is writing about.
6. What is your day like at your job?
Since we are a weekly paper I work only part time at the Weekly. Earlier in the week is mostly checking emails for press releases and news then double-checking assignments of our writers. Later in the week is editing stories and final checks with designer before the paper goes to press.
7. Who do you most look up to in the news community?
I just haven’t lived here long enough to answer this. I will tell you though that I LOVE the WDOT weekly videos as a press release. That department is so clever.
8. What is your favorite news outlet?
It would probably have to be the Seattle Times. I don’t watch much TV at all and rarely see the local news.
9. Fill in the blank:
- If I am not editing, I am… working on one of my other jobs or exploring the area (there are so many terrific parks and green spaces)
- If I could interview anyone, it would be… Maya Angelo
- My favorite thing about the Pacific Northwest is… the water – I love the fact that there is water everywhere.
10. What is your guilty pleasure?
Live jazz music with a glass of chardonnay in my hand.
Check out last week’s Meet the Media where we spotlighted Allison Needles, reporter at the Puyallup Herald!
Want to be featured in a Meet the Media? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.