For this week’s Media Monday, we’d like you to meet Jovelle Tamayo, an independent Seattle-based photojournalist. Her work has appeared in BuzzFeed News, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and more. To view her visual portfolio, visit her website.
- How did you find yourself as a photojournalist?
I started photographing my friends and family at a young age with any camera I could get my hands on — disposable cameras, point-and-shoots, cell phones, you name it. I eventually joined the yearbook staff in high school and discovered my true passion for storytelling as an editor at my college newspaper.
- Which of your photos are you most proud of?
Ansel Adams famously said, “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” While I’m proud of the photos I work hard to make by moving around to get the right frame or having the patience to build a relationship, the scenes captured in some of my favorite images unfolded before my lens like gifts.
- What is your favorite thing about your job?
Working to be a better photojournalist also motivates me to be a better human being. I’m always learning about the world.
- What do you look for in a story or photograph?
I look for surprising moments and ways to capture the magic of the everyday. I want to show stories that elevate the voices of communities that have been underrepresented, misrepresented or erased.
- What is your day like at your job?
I don’t have a routine. I might be on assignment, responding to emails or editing photos. If I have extra time, I’ll research story ideas, practice a new skill or wander my neighborhood with my camera.
- Who do you most look up to in the journalism industry?
I admire community journalists who are committed to telling stories in their own backyards and documentarians who completely devote themselves to a particular issue.
- What is your favorite news outlet?
The New York Times
- What is your guilty pleasure?
Borrowing too many books at the library.
- Fill in the blank:
- If I am not photographing, I am… planning the next adventure with my partner Ramon or chilling in a hammock at Golden Gardens.
- If I could photograph anyone, it would be… Michelle Obama.
- My favorite thing about Seattle is… how beautiful it is when the sun and the mountains are out.